AudioBox USB 96 is an update version of PreSonus' hugely popular AudioBox, which laid claim to being one of the most popular 2x2 USB recording interfaces to ever appear on our shelves.
What is new?
The biggest 'new' feature would have to be 24-bit/96K recording. AudioBox USB 96 is now a USB2.0 device .
What is good about it?
Rugged, portable, simple, package includes software. For such a small price tag, AudioBox USB 96 really does tick a lot of boxes.
You can, of course, use it with just about any audio software you'd like - but it does come with Presonus' own Studio One Artist software, which is dead-set easy to use, and sounds great too.
There's a couple of XLR/jack combo inputs on the front panel, each with their own gain control (plus a phantom power selector for condenser microphones).
A front-panel 'mix' control lets you control the level between the input signal and computer playback, without hearing delays. You also get a pair of balanced line-level outputs (on the rear), a headphone out, plus MIDI I/O, so you can connect a synth or MIDI controller.
For other Presonus studio/recording solutions, check the list here
AudioBox USB 96 features:
- 2 dual-purpose front-panel input channels, each with high-quality mic preamplifiers
- 2 combo mic/instrument inputs
- Individual channel-trim controls with 0 to +35 dBu mic gain range
- 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
- Mixer control (blends the input signal with the computer playback stream for zero-latency monitoring)
- Headphone jack with level control
- Main-output level control
- LED clip indicator for each channel
- 1 USB 2.0 port
- 2 combo XLR/¼” mic/instrument inputs
- 2 balanced ¼” main (L/R) line outputs
- 1 stereo ¼” headphone output
- MIDI in/out
- 24-bit resolution and 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz sampling rate
- Professional-grade A/D/A converters (+105 dBu dynamic range)
- Zero-latency monitoring via internal mixer
- Compatible with most Mac® and Windows® recording software
- Studio One® 3 Artist
- 1/3U rack-mountable (with optional 3UMR rack-mounting system)
- Road-rugged construction with all-metal chassis and metal knobs
- Weighs just 2.3 kg
- Powered via USB bus (no wall wart)