For a simple, no-fuss recording solution, look no further than AudioBox iOne (or the slightly bigger AudioBox iTwo)
An excellent choice for mobile musicians, sound designers, and podcasters, the USB 2.0 bus-powered AudioBox iOne provides high-quality audio I/O for Mac®, PC, and Apple iPad®.
AudioBox iOne has an XLR microphone input on the front panel, next to an instrument input. Each have individual gain control knobs, and you can record both channels at the same time - either directly into your iPad via Catputre Duo - a free App Store download - or into your computer, using StudioOne Artist.
There's headphone jack (with volume knob) on the front panel, along with a great big level wheel to control your studio monitors (main L&R outputs on the rear, via 1/4" balanced jack sockets).
Should you also require MIDI I/O, check out AudioBox iTwo instead.
And the summary from Presonus:
"These compact, ruggedly built interfaces offer high-performance Class A mic preamplifiers, record 24-bit audio at up to 96 kHz, and include powerful, easy-to-use Studio One® Artist DAW for Mac and Windows and Capture™ Duo recording software for iPad"
- Bus-powered USB 2.0/iPad audio interface
- 24-bit resolution; 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz sampling rate
AudioBox iOne Inputs and Outputs:
- 1 microphone input with low-noise, high-headroom, Class A mic preamplifier and +48V phantom power
- 1 instrument input
- 2 balanced ¼” TRS main line-level outputs
- Stereo headphone output with independent level control
- Zero-latency monitoring via internal analog mixer (fixed 50/50 mix via Direct button)
- Large main volume knob
- Signal present and clipping LEDs
- Studio One® Artist DAW software (Mac/Windows) and 6+ GB of third-party resources
- Transfer files wirelessly from Capture for iPad to Studio One
- Compatible with almost all recording software for Mac®, Windows®, and iPad®
- Nimbit® Free account to distribute and sell your music
Construction and Security:
- Kensington lock hole
- Metal chassis