A new flagship interface by PreSonus, Quantum is a beast. Quantum 2 is a slightly cut down (more compact) version - desktop rather than rackmount.
Key differences: Due to the physical size difference, Quantam 2 has slightly less analogue I/O than Quantum, there's also only one headphone socket (instead of two), and you lose the internal talkback mic.
What you get, and it's expandable:
Quantum 2 offers two combo mic/instrument inputs and two combo mic/line inputs, each with a digitally-controlled XMAX preamp and individual +48V phantom power. You also get four balanced ¼” TRS outputs and a headphone out with dedicated volume control. With ADAT Optical I/O and S/PDIF stereo digital I/O, you can have up to 18 digital inputs and outputs.
Should you require more I/O, you can stack up to four Quantum 2 interfaces via Thunderbolt to create a monster system with up to 80 in and out.
Fast, ultra-high definition recording:
Taking full advantage of the high-speed Thunderbolt 2 bus and ADAT Optical I/O, the PreSonus® Quantum 2 audio / MIDI interface delivers up to 22 inputs and 24 outputs, with extremely low latency.
Every design decision during Quantum 2's engineering was made with one goal in mind: speed. Quantum 2 sports high-speed Thunderbolt 2 connectivity and a no-frills, direct-to-DAW architecture, with no DSP. The result is PreSonus' leanest, fastest, lowest-latency interface to date.
Quantum 2 features:
- 22x24 Thunderbolt 2 ultra-low-latency audio interface
- PreSonus' fastest interface; record direct to DAW (no DSP)
- Stack up to four Quantum interfaces via Thunderbolt for a monster system
- Assignable output level control
- 6x 8-segment LED meters (4 input, 2 output)
- Tight integration with included Studio One® Artist DAW software (Mac/Windows) for multitrack music production and studio command features
- Wireless control over preamp levels from free UC Surface touch-control software (Mac®/Windows®/iPad®) and from free Studio One Remote for iPad
- Compatible with most recording software for Mac and Windows
- Studio Magic Plug-in Suite included
- Simultaneous I/O up to 22 inputs / 24 outputs (at 44.1 or 48 kHz)
- 2 front-panel combo microphone/instrument inputs
- 2 rear-panel combo microphone/line-level inputs
- 4 XMAX remote-controllable, Class A mic preamps with individually switched 48V phantom power
- 4 balanced ¼” TRS line-level outputs
- Line outputs are DC coupled for sending control voltages for analog gear
- ADAT Optical/Dual SMUX inputs/outputs: 16x16 channels at 44.1 or 48 kHz; 8x8 channels at 88.2 or 96 kHz
- Stereo S/PDIF coaxial input and output
- 1 high-volume headphone outputs with dedicated volume controls
- Thunderbolt 2 high-speed bus
- 24-bit resolution and up to 192 kHz sampling rate
- Top-quality 120 dB A/D/A converters
- BNC word clock input and output with low-jitter clocking
- MIDI I/O on 5-pin DIN connectors
- Road-rugged construction with all-metal chassis and metal knobs
- 12 VDC external power supply (included)