Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre is an 8-channel mic preamp with analogue line and ADAT outputs.
If you stack this Scarlett OctoPre on top of a Scarlett 18i20, you'll notice they look very similar. Rather than being the nerve centre of your DAW though, Scarlett OctoPre is either a stand-alone 8 channel mic preamp, or can be used to interact with your DAW rig.
Let's dig in.
The outputs are fed to both the 8 line outputs (on the back, balanced 1/4" jack sockets), and also the ADAT output(s). You can choose a variety of sample rates, and if you only need 4 outputs via ADAT port, you get to choose 192kHz, if you're that way inclined.
On the back you'll also see the WORD CLOCK I/O, and you can choose internal or external sync via the front panel button.
Gain knobs for all 8 input channels are on the front panel, along with individual pad switches and input LED metering. Channels 1 & 2 are located on the front panel for easy access, and also feature an 'instrument' button, should you be plugging in a bass or guitar, rather than a line-level source.
Choose Scarlett OctoPre to augment your current DAW, as either extra inputs or to ramp up the quality of the input preamps if you're not 'feeling it' with your current device. OctoPre is nice quality for a nice price, and that's a tick in anyone's language.
Scarlett OctoPre features:
- Eight natural-sounding Scarlett mic preamps
- Eight balanced line inputs
- Focusrite precision A-D conversion up to sample rates of 192kHz
- Dual front-panel instrument inputs
In the box:
- Scarlett OctoPre
- Power Cable
- Focusrite - Red Plug-in Suite: accurately models our classic Red 2 equaliser and Red 3 compressor
- Softube - Time and Tone Bundle: four of Softube's world-class reverb, delay, mastering and distortion plug-ins
- Focusrite - Plug-in Collective: exclusive offers, tutorial content and more, from some of the most innovative and prestigious plug-in companies