Warm Audio WA12MkII microphone preamp includes CineMag transformers and plenty of flavour.
It is built on the premise that not everyone wants a "super clean" preamp, where the signal ends up exiting sounding much the same as it did before it hit the preamp. WA12 MKII is designed to transform plain instruments and vocals into exciting tone.
The WA12 MKII is a completely discrete, high voltage, dual-transformer microphone preamplifier design with high gain (+71dB), high headroom, low noise, and an exciting sonic performance – great for all types of recording applications.
WA12 MKII is based around a discrete op-amp, the X731, which is Warm Audio's reproduction of the vintage classic Melcor 1731. The X731 can achieve vibrant, clean and lifelike tones; but can also be driven into mild saturation at much higher gain levels. The effects can be subtle, but very pleasing to the ear. WA12 MKII can also accept any discrete op-amp on the market which conforms to the +/-16v, 2520 pinout standard.
WA12 MkII features:
- Single channel microphone preamplifier
- Custom USA CineMag transformers
- 71dB of gain
- Fully discrete signal path
- Discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp
- Variable impedance input
- Utilises premium grade input and output USA CineMag transformers.
- Fully discrete design with a robust 71dB of gain.
- Utilises a discrete 6-pin socketed 1731 style opamp. Can be replaced with other 6-pin "2520 foot-print" opamps for varying tone/flavor.
- 20db pad.
- TONE button – Switches the input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms. Changes the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs.
- Mic level balanced input: XLR.
- 2 Meg Ohm True HI-Z input on front panel. Sends instrument signal through entire circuit including both Cinemag Transformers and discrete opamp. Great for guitars, bass, keyboards and other instruments that have a 1/4″ output jack.
- Balanced outputs: XLR and 1/4″ TRS.
- 48 volt Phantom Power.
- LED Meter gain indication.
- Output attenuation control (after the CineMag output transformer) allows for driving the preamp and transformers into saturation.
- Switchable 115/230 V IEC Power inlet.