Every now and then, a microphone comes along to completely change the way we record.
This is not that mic!
However, Warm Audio WA87 draws inspiration from the "classic '87" which is arguably the most widely-used large diaphragm condenser microphone in popular recording history.
Rather than base WA87 circuit on current incarnations of this mic, Warm Audio has decided to closely follow the early circuit designs that date back nearly half a century. The desire to re-introduce the warm tone of this classic mic at an affordable price to an all new generation of recording artists was the inspiration behind the WA87.
Quality components make a better mic.
WA87 features all discrete, premium components such as Fairchild FETs, tantalum, polystyrene, and WIMA film capacitors, and is rounded off with a CineMag USA output transformer. The WA87 uses Warm Audio WA-87-B-50V custom capsule reproduction, stylised after the classic K87 dual backplate/dual diaphragm capsule found in the early '87 microphones.
WA87: Condenser Microphone with cardioid, figure of eight and omnidirectional polar patterns.
- Large condenser studio microphone based on the classic "87-style" circuit
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional
- WA-87-B-50V capsule. Reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule
- Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane, NOS mylar (PET film)
- CineMag USA output transformer
- Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz
- SPL: .5% THD @ 125db (without pad),132db
- -10db pad
- Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR
- High Pass Filter: 80hz
- Noise: -117db
- Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box
- Colour: nickel