Warm Audio WA47 is an all vacuum tube, large diaphragm, transformer balanced, multi-pattern (9), large condenser microphone, based on the classic ‘47 that has been used on countless hit records for the last 50+ years.
Like all Warm Audio microphones, the 'inspiration' for this mic was a classic, meaning the path to re-creation was paved with challenges, especially considering that some of the vintage components are no longer available.
True '47 style capsule
WA47 utilises a custom reproduction of the vintage k47 style capsule that was used in the classic ‘47 microphone - designed with the same hole pattern and frequency response. Every Warm Audio capsule is made in the same small assembly house in a clean-room environment, and packaged in its own protective jewel case until the moment it is loaded into the microphone.
A large part of any microphone's tone comes from its capsule, and the true k47 style capsule used in WA47 is neither easily manufacturedm nor typically found in affordable condenser microphones.
The capsule, choice of valve (Slovak Republic JJ5751), the transformer, cable and capacitors were all chosen to offer a faithful representation of such a famous microphone.
- Custom true '47 capsule reproduction (k47 style) - Model# WA-47-B-80v
- Capsule makeup: Gold sputtered, dual large diaphragm, single backplate, 6 microns NOS mylar (PET film)
- TAB-Funkenwerk (AMI) USA output transformer
- JJ Slovak 5751 vacuum tube
- Gotham 5 meter GAC-7, 7-pin tube microphone cable
- Wima, Solen French, and Polystyrene capacitors
- Polar Patterns: 9 patterns - Cardioid, Omni, figure-of-eight + 6 mixed patterns
- Self-noise: 11dBA
- Dynamic range: 130dBA
- Maximum SPL: 140dB (<0.5% THD)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz~20 kHz
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: ≥2kOhms
- S/N Ratio: 82dBA
- Equivalent Noise: 10dBA (IEC651)
- External IEC grounded PSU
- Includes: Microphone, Wood box, PSU, Shockmount, Gotham 7 pin GAC-7 cable, IEC power cable
- Total Weight - 9 lbs (4kg)
- Mic Diameter: 90mm
- Mic Length: 254mm